Eating gluten-free doesn’t mean missing out. In fact, I’d bet this Gluten Free Blueberry Crumble would win the award for best overall dessert with the whole crowd!
This dessert is quick to prepare and cooks up on the grill.
This is the perfect dessert for your summer BBQ and doesn’t required running back in the house to watch the oven.
Ingredients for gluten free blueberry crumble
- frozen blueberries – you could probably substitute fresh, but I think frozen is best for quality and consistency in this recipe
- tapioca flour – to thicken the sauce
- sweetened condensed coconut milk – I find this at Sprouts or other healthier grocery chains. Can use regular condensed milk if not dairy-free
- brown sugar
- gluten-free oats – I buy them at Trader Joe’s
- almond flour – buy the big bags at Costco!
- vanilla extract
- butter (regular or dairy-free) – I like the Miyoko’s for a dairy-free option
How to make a blueberry crumble
- Prepare the skillet – You’ll need a large 12 inch cast iron skillet coated with oil or butter
- Make the filling – Toss the frozen blueberries with tapioca flour and mix with condensed milk
- Make the topping – Mix the remaining ingredients with a fork until crumbly
- Assemble – Add the filling to the skillet then use hands to crumble the topping evenly over the top
- Cook! – place on grill and let cook until bubbly and topping is browned
- butter should be cold when making crumble so that it will cook up well
- you can swap out the blueberries for other berries or cherries if desired
- be very careful when removing skillet from grill, it will be very hot and very heavy to carry
How to serve blueberry crumble
With ice cream or whipped cream of course!
So Delicious Coconut Milk Vanilla Bean or Reddi Wip almond are my favorites for a dairy-free option!
Gluten Free Blueberry Crumble
- 2 pounds frozen blueberries
- 1/4 cup tapioca flour
- 14 oz sweetened coconut condensed milk
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup gluten-free oats
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 8 tablespoon butter or dairy free butter
- Coat a 12 Inch cast iron skillet with oil
- Toss blueberries with tapioca flour until evenly coated
- Pour the can of sweetened condensed milk over them and mix with a spoon and place in skillet
- In a large mixing bowl combine remaining ingredients and mix until crumbly with a fork
- Sprinkle over the top of the blueberry mixture
- Place on grill preheated to 400 degrees
- Cook 15 Minutes until bubbly and browned on top
- you can swap out the coconut condensed milk for regular condensed milk if not dairy free
- carefully remove skillet from grill as it will be very hot and very heavy to carry
- leftovers can be stored in fridge up to 3 days – warm up in microwave a few seconds to serve