Want a seasoning that will have you grilling up delicious food all summer long? Make this tasty yet simple homemade Memphis Rub that goes on everything from ribs to chicken to brisket and more!
This recipe makes a big batch that you can keep on hand for tons of recipes. Add some homemade seasoning to pretty much any meat and you’ll have a simple and easy dinner!
Seasonings you’ll need:
- chili powder (I buy the big containers at Costco to keep on hand)
- smoked paprika (you can also use regular if you don’t have smoked)
- kosher salt (if using regular salt you’ll need to adjust the amounts)
- garlic powder
- onion powder
- dried thyme
- chipotle chili powder
- ground cinnamon
plus brown sugar!
*As always, carefully check the labels to ensure they are gluten-free depending on your dietary needs. Contact the company that makes the seasoning with any concerns.
Storing homemade seasoning:
- use airtight containers that are completely clean and dry
- I love using these spice containers
- make only the amount you will use up in a month or two
- homemade spice blends don’t have all the anti-caking agents so they could stick together if they sit too long or the jar has moisture
- store in a cool dry location
Ways to use Memphis Rub:
Memphis rub seasoning is both sweet and spicy. It’s a great seasoning for many meats and goes particularly well with brisket.
Try it on:
- pork chops
- bone-in chicken breasts
- and more!
I like to use about 1-2 tablespoons per pound of meat, depending on what I’m making.
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Mix together all ingredients
- Store in airtight container
- store in a dry airtight container for up to 2 months
- use around 1-2 tablespoons per pound of meat